For today’s lab session, we each gave a presentation in which we shared the current progress of our designs and some of the trials and tribulations we have encountered.
It is always reassuring to hear of the work of others and know that you’re not alone in your endeavors and that everyone struggles with something.
Jade’s presentation on her piano design was really insightful as to the playability and functionality of her device. Tolu’s project was very inspirational as he had taken the time to fully understand his code which is something I am personally struggling with. Emily’s project was interesting as she has taken her design from the previous year and decided to improve on her previous work with the power of self reflection which will surely render her work much better, due to the lessons learned from last year.
Questions and feedback are crucial when designing a project like this as things you might overlook can be pointed out to you by others, giving you the chance to reconcile before you have to submit them.
In the lecture today we discussed ways in which you can document the process if our projects so that we know the aspects of development that have occurred throughout our projects. We discussed there categories:
- Visual (videos, pictures and diagrams)
- Written (Blog posts, publications and lab notes)
- Code repo (GitHub blog posts)
- Quantitative and qualitative data (Excel spreadsheets)
Today we all completed a 10 minute presentation of how far we have come with our projects so far and explained any aspects that we still needed to complete. We all then graded each other on four different aspects of our presentations which included:
Those of us that have managed to get sound to work with our projects have shown how they can be used. Below I have included the slides for my presentation so that you can see the progress that I have made with my Arduino project. In the presentation slides there is also a video of my project so far and the issues that I have been faced with.
Although I am having an issue with the fact that the code is struggling to work with my project, after meeting with my peers today I see where the issue is and how I can change my code so that it works successfully.
It is also interesting to see how far we have all come with our projects individually as we have all been given the same brief but chosen to approach it differently.
In the lab each of us presented our ideas and designs so far showing the development of our models. We used presentation for better visual demonstration making sure to score each other on the complexity, functionality, aesthetics and clarity of presentation. This allowed us to get feedback and comments positive and negative to help us further develop our designs.
The feedback I got was really helpful in letting me know exactly the areas that I need to attend to for my project. I have made notes on this and can now move forward positively after positive constructive feedback.
In this week’s session we are doing our presentations about our project.
Here is my presentation
I thought that today’s lab was successful as we were able to show that we knew what we want to do for our projects and be able to explain them to others.
I think it was helpful to get any feedback/questions to think about, while we can still change our code/circuits and interfaces/case.
Now it’s just being able to build the final version of our projects.